Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Stress

I have learned a few things in the first weeks of class. I have learned I need to be more organized than my advisor. I have learned that getting up early is easy once you have to do it a few days in a row. I have learned I still do not like getting up early, however, I have noticed I feel much better all day when I do. Since getting up has become a habit, I have tried to restart the habit of working out. It is way easier to work out when you get up before noon. Still have not turned this blogging thing into a habit though. I am working on it. Clearly I have picked up Data's habit of never using a conjunction. I do like the way writing works without all those apostrophes floating all over my pages. Anyway, back to class. I had to do a little mini lesson in front of my peers. I chose to do mine on concussions and the importance of the King-Devick test as a baseline for all athletes. I have had my bell rung a few times in my life, in sports and real life. I just fail to understand why doctors, other than my wife, and coaches do not see the importance of establishing a baseline for athletes to ensure they are not put back on the field after suffering a concussion. I held my fingers up and he got the right answers so I put him back in. Forget that a blind man could pass this test because every coach holds up three fingers every time. But hey, I guess getting the star linebacker back in the game before the other teams scores is way more important than worrying about brain damage. Maybe this is because the coaches took one too many hits themselves. Rub some dirt on it. Take a salt pill. Shake it off. I know I heard every one of those hundreds of times throughout the years. Considering how litigious society has become, I am surprised schools do not require better handling of traumatic head injuries. If I as a teacher treated students the same way coaches treat them I would be fired, sued, and plastered all over Fox, MSNBC, CNN, and every moron comedian that thinks they are a good source for news because they can make a lame joke at someone else's expense. Sorry for the rant on what passes for broadcast news these days. Anyway, back to school. I am finding myself frustrated by the lack of attention I feel my advisor is giving to the field class. I have picked up a few little tricks I plan to use but more importantly I have learned to see things through the eyes of students. I forgot how annoying it can be when the teacher expects more from you than they expect from themselves. I'm done. Time to get a drink and maybe a cigar. I know it is only 11am right now. Since I was getting up at noon and I have been getting up before eight at the latest now I figure I can add at least four hours to my clock. So that makes it at least 3pm. That is not too early for a drink, right?

No comments: