Saturday, January 11, 2014

I completely suck at keeping up with blogs, journals, etc...

Wow. Terrible. So last semester I was going to keep track of everything that happened while I was student teaching. That has worked out well so far. Teaching a couple lessons a month in three classes has in no way prepared me for the vast amount of work I am required to keep up with this semester. So this is it folks. On the eve of my twenty year high school reunion, I will finally get a bachelor's from college. What a long strange trip it's been.
 I have met with my mentor teacher on my own time for the last few weeks leading up to my five day a week student training adventure. So I suppose I am slightly ready to jump into this. Then again, I also have a few thousand pages of lesson plans and assorted materials that I need to break down and plan with for the next 86 school days.
Yes 86 school days. The teachers are already counting down. This has been one of the most disappointing aspects of actually working in a school. What are teachers so pissed off and whiney? I have not meet one teacher that ever had another job in their life. They have never dug ditches in the bitter cold and blazing heat. They have never come home from work so disgusting that they have to change in the basement before they shower. They have never had to works nights weekends and holidays waiting on customers that showed up five minutes before closing and just would not take a hint that we wanted to go home. They never had a customer order a well done steak after the kitchen was closed and cleaned for the night. Look, I know teachers are underpaid and do spend hours working on materials for class on their own time. I also know that while this job is stressful it is not bad breaking hard labor. Even with the overwhelming amount of material I am responsible for this semester I know that this job is better than any other I have held in the past.
Here is the true PITA part of my final semester. My university requires student teachers to do so much useless, busy work to justify the salaries of the administrators, advisors, and professors. I am going to end up with a few hundred pages of garbage that no one will ever have the time to read by May. I know it preps me for the mountains of paper work that will follow me for eternity as an educator. Still, why not just let me focus my attentions on being a better planner, speaker, and teacher and stop worrying about cutting down ever tree between my house and the school just to make you more secure in your job.
Too much whining and complaining. See teachers, it rubs off on the student teachers and you set us up to be just as miserable as you.

No comments: